Democratic Summer Camp FAQs
All food and accommodation.
Pick up service from the train station.
Meeting students at the airport on arrival and accompanying for departure. Train fare not included.
Team building activity on day 2.
Your return trip to Spain (Barcelona) and back, traveling costs to and back from Barcelona airport are not covered, also travel insurance is not included.
We will sleep in dome tents or inside the house. In both cases you have to bring your own mattress and sleeping bags or a sheet is enough. There is not a lot of room for sleeping inside the house, so most of us will sleep in the dome tents.
It means that you are able to organize yourself. That you are able to get up in the morning. That you can take care of your physical needs (food, sleep). That you can be ready on time when the group is going out or meeting. That you can ask for help when you need help. In effect it means that you can take responsibility for your own well being. Beside that you need to have sufficient awareness on what the needs of the group are and be able to act upon that.
No, this camp is only for students. Experienced adult staff will there to support the democratic community.
Yes there is: alcohol and drugs will not be part of the summer camp. We will enjoy and celebrate without intoxication by either one. This means you can not bring any alcohol or drugs into the summercamp or use it on trips outside the camp grounds.
Evelien Prins from De Ruimte will be counselor at the camp guarding the emotional sanity of the group.
Jordi Mateo from Caiev in Catalunya with great experience in child-centered, self-directed education.
Reinier Bosch has been a staff member at several democratic school in the Netherlands for 12 years. He has ample experience with events based on students involvement.
There will also be staff from Hebden Bridge School.
The morning meeting at 10 am, in which we decide what is to be done that day or how we organize ourselves, is mandatory.
Taking responsibility for the chores needed to run the camp (cooking, cleaning etc) is mandatory.
Joining the day trips (outdoor activity and Barcelona) is mandatory.
We cater for all needs, just let us know when you book.
Yes, we have made a basic kit list:
- Ecological (organic) shampoo, soap and toothpaste. We don’t want to pollute the land!
- Flips flops (no shoes allowed in the house)
- Hiking boots or good quality trainers.
- Swimming costumes/Beach clothes
- Water bottle
- Sun cream (Factor 50)
- Shoes for going into the sea (optional)
- Insect repellent
- Your own mini first aid kit and medication if you take it (please let us know if you are on medication).
- Sleeping bag
- Mattress for sleeping, a camping mat is fine.
- Pillow (if you want)
- Clothes for warm days and a sweater/long sleeves for the evenings
- Some pocket money for ice creams and drinks at the beach and if you wish to go shopping when we go to Barcelona.
- A good book to read and one to share with others in our library
- You may wish to bring a game (not computer games!)
If you still have questions please let us know: