International Summer Camp 2018
Democratic students from all over the world!
Together with you we want to create this moment in time and space
where young people from democratic education can share
values and experiences
while working creatively together
in a great atmosphere.
An old barn on the wuthering heights of West Yorkshire near the picturesque town of Hebden Bridge.
Thursday July 12th to Thursday July 19th 2018
35-40 students from democratic schools (max 7 students from one school) and 4 adults experienced in self-directed education
How will we do it?
- together and democratically
- you bring and share your ideas and skills
- we will pre-organise some activities but you will also have plenty of time to just do what comes out of the moment
- together we will do the cooking and take care of the house
- you will be looking after yourself and taking care of others
- English will be the main language
What happens during the day?
- communal start of the day at 10am sharing the plans for the day and discussing practical issues
- if you want to start the day by being mindful, join the yoga and meditation at 9:15 am or go walking in the hills
- activities organized by the students
- loads of time to socialize, talk, play games, sit around the fire, go on a hike
- preparing meals and cleaning up together
Are there any day trips?
Of course! We want to organise a group activity every other day. Some suggestions are below:
One day of outdoor activities to get to know each other better in challenging circumstances. When filling out the registration form you can let us know which activities you think serves this purpose best. For instance archery, canoeing/kayaking, climbing/abseiling, caving, canyoning raft building, mountain biking or hiking.
One day trip to Liverpool where students can choose their own programme from the Beatles museum, the Slavery museum, The Liverpool Tate, Anfield, Albert quay by the old docks, shopping, cafes, or whatever else takes their fancy.
One day of workshops to be creative or active. When registering let us know which ones you would be interested in. Choose from drama, bushcraft, vocal expression, acrobatics, foraging, drawing/painting, sculpture, dancing, creative writing etc.
What is the cost?
£325, (or about 365 euro). This includes all accomodation, food and excursions during the camp.
To register you need to fill out the form by clicking here
and forward a deposit of £100.
This can be done by paypal:
If you’d like to hear more about our International Summer School, email us at democraticsummercamp@gmail with your ideas or post them on our facebook page
If you still have questions please let us know: