Dr Julie Summers
Dr Julie Summers is our curriculum adviser and our professional development consultant.
She assists us in drawing up our curriculum for years 7-11, making sure it is in line with our philosophy of cross subject learning and covering the GCSE syllabus.
She is also one of our teacher trainers helping to raise teachers’ performance by reflecting on their classroom practice and providing them with strategies on how to improve their teaching and their students learning.
French Teacher, Oakham School, Rutland, UK
NQT mentor and coordinator, Oakham School, Rutland, UK
PGCE Tutor, Buckingham University, UK
Recent Professional History
- 2004-2005: PGCE placements in Oxfordshire state secondary schools
- 2005-present: French Teacher ages 11-18 in mixed independent day and boarding school
- 2008-2011: Visiting primary school French Teacher and trainer, Edith Weston Primary School, Rutland (one afternoon a week)
- 2009-2013: NQT Coordinator (mentor, assessor, trainer), Oakham School
- 2014-present: NQT mentor and assessor, Oakham School
- 2010-present: Part time PGCE tutor, Buckingham University
Education and Qualifications
- 1995-1999: BA French Studies, Birmingham University (2:1)
- 1998-1999: DEUG Université le Mirail, Toulouse, France
- 2001-2005: PhD French Literature, Birmingham University
- 20014-present: PGCert in Coaching and Mentoring Beginning Teachers, Nottingham University
Other Educational Experience and Interests
- 2007-present: Member of Voluntary Action Team, Oakham School (fundraising, visiting the elderly, gardening in the community, helping in charity shops)
- 2006-2010: Summer trip to Burgundy, France with year 7 children
- 20012 and 2013: Co-organiser and fundraiser of volunteering expedition to École Nomade, Sahara, Morocco with group of 16-17 year olds.
- Interested in foreign travel, kickboxing, windsurfing, skiing, reading.